The largest state fair in the country, the State Fair of Texas is back for 24 days of spectacular fun with everything you could imagine at a state fair – plus so much more! Fair Park Dallas opens their gates to visitors from across the country from September 28 – October 21. The variety of deep-fried delicacies may be one of the main attractions for those adventurous enough to try such treats as fried bubble gum, fried peanut butter & jelly, fried frito-pie, fried ice cream and more. Others are after the traditional corn dogs, nachos, cotton candy and turkey legs. If you’re still deciding what the draw is to this 2012 State Fair of Texas and how to make the most out of your visit we’re here to help! We’ve compiled a list of our TOP 10 REASONS TO VISIT THE STATE FAIR OF TEXAS.
1) Deep Fried Jambalaya (and other fried foods)
The Texas State Fair is known to be the fried food capital. This year the deep fried jambalaya won Big Tex Choice Award, while the fried bacon cinnamon roll won Most Creative. The food, whether fried or not, is a treat for those tastebuds just because it’s fair food and it’s good! Click here to see a list of some of the many fried foods and past Big Tex winners!
2) Daily Deals
A special discount is offered almost every day of the week for admission to the fair. Students and teachers are given complimentary tickets from their schools, but everyone doesn’t work for the school system. You don’t HAVE to pay $16 at the gate. Here are a few ways to save:
- Go Online – $13.95 when purchased online ($10.95 for kids/seniors)
- Kroger Ticket – $14.50
- Kroger/Cinemark Season Pass – For $34.95 get unlimited visits to the fair, a buddy for one visit between Mon & Fri and a Cinemark movie pass
- Kroger DART Combo – For $17 get one admission and one RoundTrip on the DART rail to avoid parking
- Dr Pepper $5 Tuesdays – Bring an empty Dr. Pepper can every Tuesday and get in for $5
- After 5pm Dr. Pepper Deal – Bring an empty Dr. Pepper can after 5pm and get in for $8
- 3 for $2 Wednesdays with NTFB – Bring 3 cans of food on Wednesday for the North Texas Food Bank and receive $2 admission
- Coke $6 Thursdays – Bring an empty 20oz bottle of Coca-Cola and enter the fair for $6 every Thursday
- Dickies Day – On Thursday, Oct 11th wear/show Dickies logo clothing item and receive a FREE voucher for admission to the fair (ONLY ON 10/11)
- McDonald’s Deal – Check your tray liner or look for bag stuffers when dining at McDonalds and get $3 off general admission. Half priced child tickets are also sometimes distributed.
- Museum of Nature & Science Members – Free admission for all members! Museum members will receive a voucher good for 2 adults and up to 4 children.
- Senior Thursdays – Senior citizens 60 and over get in for Free every Thursday. ($12 on regular days)
- KISS FM $5 Fridays – Click here for the Kiss FM coupon allowing $5 off the gate price on Fridays
- The Addams Family at Music Hall – Receive a same-day fair admission when buying a ticket to the Addams Family performance at Fair Park’s Music Hall.
3) BIG TEX’s 60th Birthday
Big Tex turns 60 this year! At 52 feet high Big Tex is the world’s largest talking cowboy figure. By the way, All Seniors 60 and over get free admission on Thursdays & discounted admission for $12 any other day.
4) Chinese Lantern Festival
For the first time this ancient Chinese tradition will be on display in the American Southwest with a collection of authentic Chinese art, a 110 yard long dragon made of 15,000 porcelain dishes, a Chinese marketplace, live shows, souvenirs and it all lights up at night. Open daily
5) State Fair Photo Contest
Capture the best angles and focal points during your visit to the fair and if you’re a skilled enough photographer you could win an iPad or $500 gift card!
Click here for details and where to submit your pics!
6) Auto Show
Big Tex stands over the only state fair to feature such a major automobile show as a yearly attraction. Two buildings and an outdoor truck area contain more than 400 new cars and trucks presented by manufacturers. Click below to see some of the new 2013 models and featured manufacturers taking up 350,000 sq. ft. of exhibit space this year! Auto Gallery
7) Free Chevrolet Concerts
See musical guests like Le Freak, Kevin Costner & Modern West, Kevin Fowler, Rebirth Brass Band and The Commodores perform live from the Chevrolet main stage. Click here for a complete main stage lineup and schedule of the featured performing artists
8) Garden Expo
The State Fair Garden Exhibition continues to grow each year. Locate the Greenhouse on the Midway where Southern Living Lecture Series every Saturday and Sunday. Professional landscaping and sculptures by artists are featured in the Fall Garden Expo. Click here to view the speakers and garden exhibition artists.
Saturday, Oct 6th – Southwest Airlines State Fair Classic
Grambling State vs Prairie View A&M (Kickoff: 6pm)
Saturday, Oct 13th – AT&T Red River Rivalry
Oklahoma vs Texas (Kickoff: TBA)
10) It’s good for the economy!!
The longest running state fair in the U.S., TX state fair earns an estimated $350 million making a major economic impact on the DFW economy.
Hope these 10 reasons are good enough to convince you to attend! We could only choose 10, but there are plenty more where that came from! The thrilling rides, nearby museums, Chevrolet Test track, livestock and Illumination sensation show are other great attractions of the State Fair of Texas. Happy 60th to BIG TEX! This year we’re celebrating BIG at the 126th Annual State Fair of Texas.
Friday & Saturday 10am – 10pm
Sunday – Thursday 10am – 9pm